The calculator is designed to calculate the amount of IOPS, the actual size of the storage space, the total number of disks.
In this case, to calculate the amount of hot-swap disks, the following rules are applied:
- For the types of SSD, SAS, FC for each 30 disks added 1 hot-swap disk.
- For the types of NL-SAS, SATA for each 15 disks added 1 hot-swap disk.
Calculator interface is quite simple. For the calculation it’s necessary to fill out the main fields:
- The field “Read %” sets the average percentage of read operations for the entire storage system.
- The field “D.type” sets the type of disks.
- The field “D.size” sets the usual size of the disks, specified by the manufacturer.
- The field “RPM” sets revolutions per minute.
- The field “RAID” sets the RAID groups configuration, R0 -> RAID 0, R1 -> RAID 1 or 10, R5 -> RAID 5, R6 -> RAID 6.
- The field “N q-ty” sets the quantity of the disks in one RAID group:
for the R1 group with configuration 1+1 is 2, 2+2 is 4, 4+4 is 8, etc.
for the R5 group with configuration 4+1 is 5, 8+1 is 9, 10+1 is 11, etc.
for the R6 group with configuration 4+2 is 6, 6+2 is 8, 8+2 is 10, etc.
- The field “RG q-ty” sets the quantity of the RAID groups.
The fields “IOPS” и “Size,GB” aren’t active. They display the design parameters of performance and storage space on the specified drive type and configuration of the arrays.
The calculator allows to form different RAID groups configurations for one type of disks. It doesn’t limit the number of such configurations. Thus you can create RAID groups of any type of available disks and any allowable RAID configurations.
The interface is achieved by the ability to add an unlimited number of rows with specific disk configurations. And also it’s possible to remove any unneeded rows.
For example, you need to calculate the performance of the following configuration – type disks SAS, 600 GB, 2 arrays in RAID 5 4+1 and 4 arrays in a RAID 10 4+4. Information for input looks like this:
After you click “Calculate” you will get the appropriate performance evaluations, the amount of disk space and number of disks.